Welcome to my creative online journal

Wednesday 9 January 2013

On a Roll Now - Creative Jump Start 2013

I really got into these two projects!

Yesterday's on the left...:

...and today's on the right.

Yesterday's project, another part of the Creative Jump Start Summit course was about using your stencils in different ways.   Karen Ellis demonstrated using a 3 house stencil that she had designed for Crafter's Workshop.  I didn't have that particular stencil, so used one (the middle house cottage) that I found in a children's book of stenciling.  The other houses you can see  I ended up just freehand drawing and paper piercing using different handmade coloured papers.

For the background I just used distress stains and water and then drew the background houses on using a water soluble felt tip pen.  I like the way that they blended and resemble charcoal.  The front houses were drawn with a sharpie to make them stand out more.    The resulting page has ended up being pretty similar in style to the card that Karen Ellis demonstrated, minus the title that I added to the front.  

On the right hand page of my journal was today's project, a clever technique I didn't know about, using gel medium through a stencil.  When I first spread the gel I was delighted to see how thick the effect was:
It's like paper... but..it does show how a stencil that you think is clean isn't!  It shows no mercy and any bits left on the stencil (tut, tut) show up.  When it dries it does dry a little flatter, but this one being gloss meant that the letters had a glossy sheen.
After spraying (in my case, a bit heavy handed) over the whole thing with my new Dylusions spray, I decided to emphasise the edge of the letters with black.  First I tried indian ink, then a bit of black pan pastel.  The letters still looked lost in their background so I went loosely around the edges with a black technical pen.  

I really enjoyed doing these two projects, my favourites so far, and am looking forward to seeing what is in store for us next....

Thanks for looking today and for any comments.
Are you taking part in Creative Jump Start?






2 comments:

Carmen said...

These are fabulous grungy delights. Love them both, you can see what fun you had.

Melanie Marshall said...

LOVE these pages!! It's been so long since I was in Blogland.. i've been clear of all blogs for a good while now but I thought of your blog often and wondered how you was getting on now :)

I can't believe you will be 50.. you look fab!!

Please may I have your address? If so, send it via MSE Pinkladymel please ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails