Welcome to my creative online journal

Monday 11 October 2010

Vaseline Peeling Paint Technique

Something I haven't done in a while is to do some more work in my altered book.  Some of you may remember the book I started altering earlier in the year called 'New (Techniques) to You' (Link)  in which I was going to change the pages using different artistic techniques. 

Well, that is what I have done tonight, I've made a luxurious gold, copper and bronzed background using a Peeling Paint technique:

It looks much more impressive in RL, a lovely rich texture.  Journalling is going to be added on top with a white pen.

I followed the directions on how to do the technique herebut because of disorganisation time constraints I ended up having to dry each layer with a heat gun.

This is what I did:
On top of a printed page that had gesso previously painted (& dried) on it, I painted three acrylic metallic colours and then dried it.
When those pages were dry, I added Petroleum Jelly using my finger randomly on the pages.
Black paint was then added and then dried (It resists the Vaseline).
Finally, I wiped the Vaseline away with a paper towel.

The metallic paint has given it a lovely sheen that changes with the light and I like the way you can still faintly see some of the lettering from the original book.   It was fun doing another technique that I haven't tried before too.

Thanks for reading and for any comments,
See you tomorrow,
qwiksave

3 comments:

theboelemas@aol.com said...

Looking good! I love this technique too. x

Carmen said...

Haven't tried this one yet but it reminds me of when I was little and rubbing a candle over paper to create secret messages :P Such fun! I'll have to have a go - just been catching up while my PC is playing nicely. Love all your clay bits!

PepPop said...

Ooooh great technique! Love the finished look, gorgeous. Jaqui x

Related Posts with Thumbnails