Welcome to my creative online journal

Monday 23 August 2010

Why?

I am pleased to say that I finally finished all the gessoing of the pages of my altered book today and was able  to get on with my first new technique.

I think that the people that know me would have been surprised at the subject matter I chose for my art journal/altered book yesterday so today I have started to answer:

This could have a double meaning but what I intended it to be is the introduction of the book and I will be (secretly) journalling around the cross why I have chosen this subject and what the book will be about.

The new technique I used was for the background and I got the instructions for it here.  I loved how the texture of the black came out and don't think I'll be able to resist using this technique again.  

 The technique itself  is called gesso resist and to do it you do this:
(I used a plain piece of card that I could stick into the book). 
First gesso the card in a random fashion.
Then when it is fully dry, paint over with acrylic paints, again quite haphazardly.
Next scrape off some of the paint using the edge of a dry credit card.
While still wet, spritz it with water, leave a moment or two...
...and then blot with a paper towel.  Gives a great textured background as it is...
..But on mine I added this cross (which was a magazine cutting of a piece of jewellery) and misted it in the way I showed you a couple of days ago:
I then added the lettering and some more black distress ink around the edges before sticking it into the inside cover of the book. 

To do the journalling I plan to use my Uniball white gell pen, they are supposed to be able to write on anything and everything - that is if I can find it!...

Thanks for reading,
See you tomorrow,
qwiksave

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails